Volunteering has been a lifestyle choice of mine for as long as I can remember. I have made it a part of my life because of the great advantages it brings to all involved. First, to the groups who need volunteers; second, to those who are the recipients; and third, to me. Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, develop new skills, utilize your God-given gifts and talents, and be part of a community - all while helping others in need. It provides a sense of purpose and is also an immeasurable mood booster.
If you don’t already volunteer somewhere, take a moment to browse the list below and brainstorm some ideas of ways you can become involved.
1. SERVE IN CHURCH IN ONE OF THESE AREAS:
· Music (singing or instrumental)
· Worship team
· Teaching / preaching
· Children’s ministry
· Senior’s ministry
· Ladies ministry
· Men’s group
· Youth group
· Kitchen help
· Yardwork janitorial services, maintenance
· Various committees: flowers, hospitality, missions, Christian Education, etc.
2. SERVE IN YOUR COMMUNITY
· Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts
· 4-H Club
· Local food pantry/food distribution
· Visit residents at a nursing home
· Shop local and help keep small businesses in business
3. SERVE IN A SCHOOL SETTING:
· Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
· School Cafeteria
· Classroom help
· Plan events for local homeschool group
4. BE PART OF A MENTOR PROGRAM:
· After-school program
· Big Brothers/Big Sisters
· Spiritual mentors
· Fill shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child (Franklin Graham’s ministry)
· Choose a child from the local Angel Tree
· Donate to Toys for Tots
· Send Christmas cards to members of the military.
6. IF YOU ENJOY WRITING, DEVELOP ARTICLES FOR:
· Christian magazines
· Blogs (For your own blog, or as a guest blogger)
7. FOR THOSE MUSICALLY TALENTED:
· Play at your local church
· Travel to other churches
· Community events
8. FOR THOSE WHO ENJOY SPEAKING:
· Offer to speak on a specific topic at a local event.
· Speak to the schools on a topic of interest to the students.
· Speak to the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts about a hobby you enjoy.
· Offer to preach at your church or other area churches.
9. GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS:
· Invite them over for a cook-out.
· Bake them some “goodies” and take it to them.
· Sing them a Christmas carol and invite them over for hot chocolate.
10. FOR MORE IDEAS, CHECK OUT THESE WEBSITES:
· Volunteermatch.org is a website that provides ideas for using your talents to help others in your area.
· Mintools.com has resources to help equip Christians for service.
· Missionfinder.org gives a list of mission trips and volunteer opportunities.
I know there are tons more opportunities that I haven't listed, but I hope I've at least given you some ideas to start thinking about. Choose the area that suits you best, then just go for it and have fun!
Galatians 6:9-10 - And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.
Keep track of your WEALTH Goals & log your daily habits. Access your planner from any device, at anytime.
Learn how to live an abundant life, without losing everything else in the process.
Connect with other Wealth Builders in our community to network, learn, and grow.